Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inline Upgrade To 9.10 Painfully Slow


Yesterday evening I started the upgrade process from Update Manager. What a mistake. It took over seven hours to finish. I let it go not knowing if anything would break if I canceled it. It was the downloading that took so long to complete. I think the servers are still getting hit hard and they must have set limits on each connection. Today I downloaded the ISO as a Torrent and it was done in less than ten minutes. So far so good for the upgrade except for the video. I have an ATI 320 IGP Radeon and the screen refreshing is a bit slow. Today I installed the Xorg fglrx driver and it seems to help. I have not tried to run video yet but normal screen redraws are better so I expect some improvement in video too. This has always been somewhat of a drawback for this laptop anyway. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I am going to create a USB flash drive with the USB Startup tool and see if the video has better performance. I wonder if the in-place upgrade has anything to do with the poor performance n video. I didn't have these issues in version 9.04.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Techbits reserves the right to not publish comments but will only exercise this right if a comment is vulgar, completely off-topic or spam.