Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fedora and Firefox Update Agony

As I reported in the last post, Firefox 3.5 update is finally in the repositories for Fedora. Now I usually don't have many bad things to say about Fedora but this update was not thought out very well. When I ran the update to my surprise when Firefox started, the add-ons dialog box came up confirming I had installed 73 add-ons. Wait a minute I thought, I didn't approve this type of install nor was I told or given a choice. The add-on are all foreign language packs that I wouldn't ever use. This should have been a choice to install or to pick and choose which ones to install. Too many add-ons will slow performance in Firefox and I definitely did not need all 73 packs. So if this happens to you here is my solution. Open a terminal session as root and enter:
(The # just denotes root, no need to re-enter it.)

# cd /usr/lib/firefox-3.5
# firefox

This will launch Firefox as root. I had a couple of warnings that I ignored. From here you can open the Add-ons tool and un-install any language pack you don't need. A bit tedious but it gets the job done. If anyone knows of a better way let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Techbits reserves the right to not publish comments but will only exercise this right if a comment is vulgar, completely off-topic or spam.